Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bread and Birthday

I keep saying I am going to put my favorite bread recipe on this blog, and then I either don't get to write that day, or I end up writing about other stuff.  Well, I am going to post it today before I think of something else to do!  I found this recipe in a book called "A Pioneer Thanksgiving" by Barbara Greenwood.  I had borrowed the book from the library to use for school around Thanksgiving time.  It was about a pioneer family celebrating Thanksgiving, and each chapter had a craft, game, or recipe to go along with it.  This is called "Festival Bread", but we eat it all year round!  It is my husband's favorite recipe so far.

FESTIVAL BREAD

2 c. very warm water
1 tbsp. each of sugar, yeast, vegetable oil, and salt
5 c. white flour (I have used half whole wheat flour, and it works very well.)

Pour the warm water into a bowl.  Stir in the sugar, then sprinkle the yeast on top.  Put the bowl in a warm place for ten minutes.  The yeast should bubble.
Stir in the oil and salt and slowly add in the flour.
On a floured counter, punch and fold the dough for ten minutes - until it's smooth.  Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
Put the dough into a clean, oiled bowl.  Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and place somewhere warm until the dough has doubled in size - about two hours.
Shape into a circle or oval (I've also shaped it into a long loaf, like Italian Bread).
Put the bread on a baking sheet and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

Today, I am not making bread.  It is Hubby's birthday, and he picked out sloppy joes, and mac & cheese in a box for supper.  Works for me!  I did make him peanut butter cookies, as he doesn't care much for cake.  He and Rory are now watching an Incredible Hulk cartoon movie.  Rory gets to watch TV today even though it is a school day, just because it's Dad's birthday.  He originally thought he should have the day off to celebrate.  I must be a mean mom!  He did have a half day yesterday, because he had a playdate yesterday afternoon. 

Note to Stephanie - I think the Maritime Aquarium was a great day trip - we were there for three hours, and didn't see everything.  We did see the 40 minute movie, and we ate lunch there, which took up some time, but I think you could spend all day there easily.  I don't know what it's like on the weekends, but it was not crowded at all when we were there.  It took us 1 1/2 hours to get there.  I believe it is open from 10 to 5.  They have a good website, and you can check out the movies they are showing also. 

I've just realized that this has been a very strange school week, but it's been fun, and we've had a lot of different experiences.  Maybe next week will be back to "normal".  Whatever that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...