Monday, May 24, 2010

Thinking and Praying

For those of you who don't know me, I tend to be a "thinker".  Those of you who do know me have already probably figured this out.  My Mom must have said "Someday I hope you have a child just like you" at some point, though possibly under her breath, because I seem to have a "thinker" son.  Unfortunately, we both tend toward thinking about whatever it is we are NOT doing at the time.  This can lead to some rather dangerous situations if you're not careful!

I have recently been convicted  in this area.  (No, not by the judge, silly, by God!)  Because I am usually thinking ahead or thinking back or thinking aside from what I am actually doing,  my inward and outward lives are pretty disjointed.

I am trying to get my house in order.  I have found some of Flylady's ideas to be helpful in this area (not the SHOES, but...) such as the idea that anything you do is better than nothing.  This would seem to be a no-brainer, but I think I always felt that if I didn't have time to finish the job, why even start?  I have tried to force this concept onto my son, also.  He is doing better now that I am not forcing him to finish huge jobs in one shot.  We both seem to need to develop the habit of focusing well and working hard for shorter periods of time.  Funny, that's also a Charlotte Mason concept.  I have tried it with schoolwork with some success.  Maybe it works well in all areas!  I wonder if Flylady has read Charlotte Mason?

It would seem that since I live so much inside my head, I would be able to spend a lot of time in prayer.  Not the case.  Thinking and praying are not the same thing!  I actually spend more time thinking about having to pray for someone or about something than actually praying.  I spend a lot of time thinking about God without actually spending time with him!  Maybe if I can use the same methods for my spiritual life as my physical life, I could get my spiritual "house" in order at the same time as my physical house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...