Tuesday, December 21, 2010

...a lot like Christmas!

It's almost here!  Conversations turn to presents, cards, and cookies.  It seems we're all busy preparing for the special day!

At our house, we're busy packing.  I have been privileged to spend Christmas with my family every year, even though we live many miles away.  There is always the concern that we will not be able to go, but every year it works out that we can.  My kids and I have never known Christmas anywhere else, and my husband is so good as to give up Christmas with his own family to spend it with mine.  (Actually, we have two "Christmases."  We get together with his family either before or after the actual date).

So, here is our tradition.  Sometime before Christmas, we pack into the van and ride 450 miles to Grandma's house.  We go to the Christmas Eve service at her church, and then try to get the kids into bed!  Christmas morning, we open presents, and then have cinnamon rolls for breakfast!  I don't believe I've ever had a Christmas breakfast without homemade cinnamon rolls, although I can't rightly remember the first few.  As a child, my Grandmother made them every year, and we tromped next door to her house on Christmas morning.  Now, my Mom makes them, and my sister and her family tromp next door to my Mom's house for the same thing!  Then, of course, the kids (and adults) play with all their new stuff.  Then, back across the shared driveway to my sister's house for dinner with the extended family.  More presents, cookies, happy birthday to my Aunt (Christmas eve), and plain old catching up.  Supper is always leftovers - cold ham sandwiches and warmed up mashed potatoes.  Yum! (and more cookies, of course).  By Christmas night, everyone is tired and happy.  The rest of the week home is spent visiting other relatives, shopping, and the kids playing with their cousins, along with cleaning up after Christmas!

What are your Christmas traditions?  I hope you all have a wonderful, peaceful, happy day, and a prosperous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...