Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ups and Downs in the World Wide Web

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I recently started writing for Suite101.  I have so far submitted three articles.  Well, I started reading some of the forums today, and found that Google has apparently changed the way they set up their search pages, and now Suite101 articles are not getting on the pages as much.  This is a curiosity for me at this time, as I was not really counting on this to pay the mortgage, but there are some writers who are taking a horrible hit.  Writers are paid a percentage of the advertising money which is brought in from the ads around their article.  If their articles are not seen, they don't get paid.  I tried personally searching for my articles on Google, and they were much farther back than they were a few days ago.  The funny thing is that when I tried on Bing, they were on the first page.

So, this has been quite an experiment.  I think I will hold off writing any more until this gets ironed out a bit!  I'm also trying a counter-experiment.  I had never considered "monetizing" this blog before, but I'm going to do it now just to see if I get more than 47 cents in a week and a half.  It's also using Google ads, so we'll see which one Google finds more relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...