Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Conscious Living - Homeschool Edition

This is a sort of continuation of my previous post - A Call to Consciousness.  I've thought more about this in the past week or so.  Partly because we have started school again, and being conscious and present each moment is important for my children and for me.

I've never been too good at multi-tasking.  I know that women are supposed to be better at it, but it just doesn't work well for me.  It tends to lead to "Keys in the Fridge Syndrome (KFS)."  And then I have to waste half a day trying to figure out where I put everything.  So I've found it better to do one thing at a time, and to pay attention while I'm doing it.

One Room School
This is the first year I'm homeschooling both of my kids.  To make it interesting, Rory is in 4th grade, and Lily is in Pre-K.  So, I have to somehow keep my attention on two lessons at once.  But instead of working with both of them at the same time, which doesn't work for ANY of us, I'm pretending we're in an old-fashioned one-room school.

Lily needs one-on-one teaching for most things right now.  She needs to be read to and with, to be helped with her writing and piano practice, and to be given short instructions for everything.  Rory does much better when he can do his work out loud and with someone else.  So, he reads to me, we work on spelling and grammar and math together, and we all do Bible lessons and science projects as a group.

Lily doesn't spend as long on her "schoolwork" as Rory does, and spends part of the day playing by herself, which gives me time to spend with Rory.  Rory has read-alone time, writing time, and piano practice time that he always does by himself, which gives me time to spend with Lily.  I do some of my chores while listening to Rory read his lessons, which helps the time go faster for me!

School time cuts down on "me-time" quite drastically.  I don't have much time to read what I want, to watch TV, or to surf the Web.  Computer time is usually spent working on things for school, Sunday school, or our homeschool support group.  But the things I gain are much more important.  I am getting to really know my children.  I am being molded into a better mom, and a better Christian.  I am trying to live out 1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.  Because in the end, books and TV and the internet don't really matter, do they?  I think this poem says it all.

Only One LifeBy C.T. Studd (1860-1931)

Two little lines I heard one day, Traveling along life's busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in 'that day' my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,' twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God's holy will to cleave;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its days I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e'er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, 'twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, "twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say, "Thy will be done";
And when at last I'll hear the call, I know I'll say 'twas worth it all";
Only one life,' twill soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last.

a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...