Saturday, January 31, 2015

Where Do You Go for Help?

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love to read.  I have books in every room in the house except the bathroom. When we were kids and needed some information, the go-to place was the set of encyclopedias.  Now, it's the library, bookstore, or internet.

The problem I have is that while the Encyclopedia Britannica was deemed pretty reliable, the amount of information available now can be overwhelming.  You can find an "expert" to support any conclusion you might want to dream up. It's a kind of joke that things that were bad for you ten years ago are now considered health foods, and things which used to be considered healthy are now bad for you.  Is it possible that all of man's wisdom could be faulty?  


I have so many questions.  Every day seems to bring more things that I don't know.  It would seem that I would have more knowledge after all of this time, after all of the things I have heard and read and experienced.  But I seem to have only found more questions.

I find myself sitting at the computer, wanting to ask Google...what?  I don't even know what to type.  And so I sit there, staring at the screen.  

I have been unsubscribing from e-mail lists.  There are so many opinions out there, and so many of them seem good, but I am getting overwhelmed.  So much information.  So many thoughts swirling around in my head.

"Be still, and know that I am God."(Psalm 46:10).  

That's it.  When nothing is making sense, go to the source.  Not the experts, not the encyclopedia, not Google or Amazon.com.  All the wisdom of the world is nothing compared to the knowledge of God.  So now, I've started to pray instead.  To read the Bible instead of the internet.  Is it possible that I don't need roomfuls of books, but only the one?  

Sitting in front of a blank search engine brings a sense of panic.  What can I possibly type in that will give me the right answer?  Every search brings up thousands of results, many of them contradictory.  But going to the source of all wisdom and knowledge?  That brings peace.  Because I know there will only be one answer, and it will be right.

I still like to read.  Even contradicting opinions.  But when I really need to know?  I know where to go for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...