Saturday, January 21, 2017

Who is Your President?

I very rarely write political-type posts, but I just really have to get this off of my chest.

I keep hearing people say "Trump is not MY president."  What does that even mean? 

Are you an American?  Then Trump is YOUR president.

If you are an American citizen, you agree to abide by the constitution of the United States.  Part of that includes how a president is elected.  It also includes the duties of the president, along with those of the rest of the government.  If you abide by the constitution, and the President was elected and is acting according to the rules written there, whoever is elected becomes YOUR president.

I did not vote for Trump.  However, he is now my president.  I didn't vote for Obama, either, or Clinton, or either of the Bushes.  But all of them were my president.  I actually cannot think of any president that I voted for, right back to elementary school when I chose Ford over Carter in our little class election.  But they have all been my president.

I haven't agreed with all of them.  I have been known to call my congressman when I didn't agree with a bill that was being considered, and to show up at the state capitol to speak to representatives there.  But unless I wish to renounce my citizenship to the United States and move to some other country, I have to acknowledge that the government here is MY government, and the president is MY president, and my job as an American is to use the proper methods to make my wishes known.  It is also my job to deal with whatever the majority decides.

This is a democracy.  I keep thinking about what Abraham Lincoln said in the Gettysburg Address. 

 "It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

This country seems to be pulling apart almost as badly as it did before the Civil War.  Although now instead of along state lines, it is being shredded in so many directions that it is almost impossible to see what it began as.  But the threads are still there.  And they can be sewed together again.

Please, join me in working toward unity instead of division, and in praying for our leaders as we are instructed by God, rather than tearing them apart with our own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...