Monday, July 1, 2019

Who Stole the Church?

Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.  And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common;  and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.  Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,  praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
Acts 2:43-47 NASB 

Where did this go?  Where is the Bride of Jesus Christ?  What have we become?  

I read the book of Acts, and all I can feel is a sense of emptiness.  The church I know is nothing like the church described in the Bible.  There is no sense of awe anymore, no sharing, and we are definitely not  "continuing with one mind."  

I haven't posted here in quite a while, partly  because I was writing weekly posts on my church website, summarizing the Sunday sermons.  But I am getting discouraged with my church and my community.  Another church in our town closed its doors yesterday.   The attendance at our church is very small.  What happened to "the Lord adding to their number those who were being saved?"  What are we doing wrong?

Jesus said:
 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you" (Matthew 28:19-20), 
 and
 “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you." (John 15:12).

But I see a church that is locked up in its own four walls for a couple of hours a week, and then disappears from sight until the following Sunday.  It's like the musical "Brigadoon," where a town appears for one day every 100 years.  In the story, this spell was cast to preserve the culture.  The people would never be in any century long enough for their way of life to be influenced by it.  Is our church trying to do the same thing?  Are we so afraid of becoming like the world that we insulate ourselves into our own church culture?  And are our children like the ill-fated Harry, who is kept in the town against his will because if anyone leaves the town, the spell will be broken?  

What spell are we under, that makes us afraid of the very people we should be ministering to?  How can we make disciples of all nations if we won't leave our pews?  How can we love one another if we only have this superficial, once-a-week relationship with our fellow hostages church members?

I do not believe that all of Jesus' church is like this.  I believe that there are people out there doing great things for God's Kingdom and His children around the world.  I am frustrated because I don't see it happening in my town, and I feel that there is a great void here.  

What can we do to change this?  Will you pray with me that my church and my community will experience a new filling of the Holy Spirit, like the disciples did on Pentecost?  I would sure appreciate it.  And I would love to hear your suggestions for how to effectively minister to a small-town community!  Thank you! - Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...