Saturday, January 30, 2010

Musings

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

It's funny how things can be brought into perspective.  When you are in the midst of a crisis, big or little, it is all you can see for that time.  But God is good to bring things into your life to widen your vision.  As crazy as Thursday was, and as frustrating as things can get when they don't go right, there is always someone having a worse time than you are.  Yesterday, I found out that my childhood neighbor has died of a massive heart attack, and also that a dear friend has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  This has reminded me how short this life is, and especially that we never really know how much time we have left.  I do believe that all of us who follow Jesus Christ are destined for a greater life, but we shouldn't rest on that fact and ride out the time remaining to us on this earth.  Of course, we all have basic things that have to be done each day, but we need to be conscious of how we are doing those things, and also what we are doing with the time we have free from required tasks.  I need to remember that people are more important than any things (even the 2-foot deep pile of toys in my living room).  When all is said and done, the only thing we can take to Heaven with us is other people, and I believe we should try to take as many as possible.  They will only come with us if we have a relationship with them, and we need to make each relationship the very best it can be.  Jesus said that anyone who had seen him had seen the Father.  Now, in the same way, we are to show Jesus to the world.  They need to be able to see Him through us.  Everything we do should be done with a loving attitude.

I guess this post is a bit heavy, but I needed to hear this.  I pray that I will be able to follow it as I go through the day today and interact with my family and friends.  It sometimes seems that I give my best self to strangers, and treat my family to the stressed-out, short-tempered side of me.  Give your loved ones a hug, and I'll do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...