Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Faith in Little Things

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Asparagus in Spring
I went outside (in the rain) today, and guess what I saw?  Yes!  Asparagus!  I would never have seen them, if I hadn't looked closely.  In fact, I had to move a few leaves away before I saw them.  But I was expecting them.  I know in the picture they look huge, but they are really so tiny.  Asparagus grow straight up, their ends poking out of the ground full size.  Then they continue shooting up, as if they were already formed deep inside the earth somewhere.  I know this is not the case, as the roots are not that far down.  How this happens is a mystery to me.  However, I know that soon we will have a whole row of them, shooting up into the air.  Any that are not picked will unfurl themselves and turn into miniature Christmas trees, complete with tiny red balls!

We have been waiting for these asparagus for three years.  When we planted them, we were informed that we would have to wait for two full years before we could pick any.  So, we have watched them for two seasons.  We have enjoyed their frilly adulthood until late in the fall, but have not tasted them!  Now, we will be able to harvest.  MMMM!  Just the thought of asparagus picked fresh from the garden is making my mouth water!  

Waiting for Sprouts
Lily and I planted two rows in the garden on Monday - one of lettuce, and one of onions.  None of them have sprouted yet, but I know the seeds are there, waiting.  Soon we will see tiny green leaves poking up out of the soil.  We also have rhubarb coming up, which was planted last year and, again, we had to wait until this year to eat.  
First Rhubarb Leaf 

Spring is an amazing time of year.  All of the waiting through the cold, hard winter is forgotten as the sun begins to warm the ground, the rain waters the earth, and life begins to return to the garden.  The message of new birth is so easy to understand.  Plants that seemed dead and dry last fall are bursting forth with newfound vigor.  I don't think it was a coincidence that God chose to have Christ resurrected in the spring.  He wanted us to remember each year that as the soil brings forth new life, we can also be renewed.  Take some time today to enjoy the springtime, and to let God renew your spirit as well.
                                                       Link at Women Living Well Blog!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Carla and I came over from WLW. =) I'm a Christian homeschooling Mama too (our first year homeschooling). Just wanted to say hello... Enjoy your garden! I love the Rhubarb! Rhubarb-Apple Pie is my favorite! =)

    ~Carla from www.apainterlylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Carla, and good luck with the homeschooling! It does get easier! I am going to have to try rhubarb-apple pie. Do you have a recipe? I've done rhubarb-strawberry before, and just plain rhubarb. Also rhubarb sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...