Saturday, June 25, 2011

Marriage

Today is my husband's and my wedding anniversary.  Ironically, it is falling the day after New York State passed the same-sex marriage bill.  Marriage vows usually have a phrase something like "What God has joined together, let no man break asunder."  This is a comforting thought in a Christian marriage.  We have been married 17 years today, and have had our share of ups and downs.  Some of the trials we have been through should have destroyed our marriage.  I don't believe we would have survived if God had not joined us together and then held us together almost against our own wills.  But, because He was in it from the beginning, we have weathered the storms, and have prevailed against everything that life has thrown at us.  We are much closer, now, than we were on our wedding day.

I do not believe that God will be involved in the same-sex marriages that will be soon taking place in this state.  I am afraid that when the storms of life come to those couples, they will not have God holding them together.  He ordained marriage to be between a man and a woman, not two men or two women.  I hope, for the sake of those couples, that New York State is prepared to keep playing god, and will hold them together when the going gets tough.  Otherwise, this broken state is going to become more broken and fractured, as the courts have to deal with same-sex divorces.  God help us all.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...