Sunday, February 19, 2012

What's Your Team?

You know how people like to pick sides?  The Superbowl was a couple weeks ago, and everyone picked the team they wanted to win.  Then, we spent a few hours alternately yelling "Yeah!" and "Boo!" at the "light up box with all the pretty colors" in our living rooms.  The next few days or weeks were spent discussing the game, commiserating with those who were on our side, and jeering at those on the other (especially if their team lost).
Rory's baseball team (Rory is second from left)
I really like football.  I also have a son who plays baseball, soccer, and basketball.  I don't really have a problem with organized sports, and I think that playing on a team can be good training for kids.

The thing I'm concerned about, though, is that while we're worrying about all of these pseudo-fights, we are missing the real one.  Paul wrote in Ephesians 6:12-13 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.  Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."  He goes on to describe the armor of God, which includes truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, and the word of God.  No balls involved.  There are only two teams, and there is only one goal.  So what do you do?

  • You have to choose a team.  Jesus said in Luke 11:23 "He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth."  


  • You don't know when the game will end.  "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.  But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.  For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Matthew 24:36-39.


  • But you know who will win.  "These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them; for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings; and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Revelation 17:14.  


  • And you can be on the winning team.  "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil...Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."  John 17:14-15,20-21.  


  • You know how to be chosen for the team.  "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city...And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.  And let him that heareth say, Come.  and let him that is athirst come.  And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."  Revelation 22:14,17

  • And you know the game rules.  "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?  and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear ye not, therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.  Wosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.  But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."  Matthew 10:28-33
So.  What's your team?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments - I love to hear from you! I read each and every comment before publishing it, so bear with me if there is a slight lag between when you leave your comment, and when it appears on the blog. I will get it up as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...