Here's my idea. I would like to have a homeschool resource center. A building or storefront or even a room somewhere that could be used by homeschoolers in the area.
- I envision a lending library, where people could donate curriculum that could be loaned out for long periods of time so that a family who couldn't afford to buy it could use it for the whole year.
- I envision a large, cheery multi-purpose room which could be used for anything someone could come up with. Maybe for a class or co-op. Or a parent's meeting. Or a kid's club.
- I envision some smaller, comfy rooms where kids could come to study or read, or even practice an instrument or work on a project alone or with a few friends.
- I envision a drop-off center which would be open for parents to bring their little kids who couldn't be left home alone when they need to go to the store or take another child (or themselves) to the doctor, or just have a few minutes alone. There would be games and toys and art supplies for the kids to use, or they could bring their schoolwork.
- I envision a place where kids could meet with tutors or teachers or each other to learn anything they would like.
- And I envision a place where parents could get help and information and support and community as they go through their homeschooling journey with their kids.
My problem, as I said, is I have no idea how to implement a dream like this. Especially how to fund it! Or even if anyone would use it. What do you think? Are there any other homeschoolers out there who would love something like this in their neighborhood?